1. Buy spore syringe, bulk substrate, and bags of Sterilized grain.
2. Inoculate bags and allow to colonize (1.5 to 2.5 weeks) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2INoaWWKEk
3. Break up colonized grain and mix with bulk substrate. Put into a plastic tote. Plastic tote: 64 quart Homz available at walmart for $7.
4. Allow the mixed bulk substrate and grain spawn to fully colonize. (1 to 2 weeks)
A brick of coco coir is about $8 to $10 at pet stores, and garden centers. Vermiculite is available at garden centers and home depot, lowes, etc, and is also cheap, around $10.
5. Open lid 1/2 inch to 1 inch for fresh air exchange, which will lead to fruiting conditions.
6. Expose to light, Mist daily.
7. Harvest Mushrooms.
$10 for spore syringe
$16.80 for 2 x 3 lbs Grain, cheaper if you buy 8 bags: $56, about $2.34 per pound including shipping. https://www.etsy.com/listing/526150133/8-x-3-lbs-bags-of-sterilized-hydrated
$7 for tote (Homz 64 Qt Black Latching Lid Clear Storage Tote)
$15-$20 for bulk substrate, but makes much more than just one tub, cost is probably around $5 to $10 per tub.
Total cost: $50 to $60 dollars. Yield is around 200 to 300 dried grams
This is easier and better than the PF tek, and easier then the Monotub, though, once you get skilled at doing monotubs they don’t require daily misting and so have slightly less labor.
Best place to get sterilized grain:
The replacement policy, quality, and prices are better than anyone else.